Friday, October 31, 2014

MY 500 W0RDS: Day 31

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, 
but only one gets the prize? 
Run in such a way as to get the prize."
―1 Corinthians 9:24, NIV


Day 31: Check! 861 words
Challenge: Write about what it feels like to finish something

Topic: A 10K race I ran in 1992 at the beach. 



When I pulled out my race pictures today, I noticed the race date was October 31st―exactly twenty-two years ago to the day. What’s with that? I made good time on the first half of the course, but when I made the loop for the three-mile return, I was running into the wind. It was tough. At times, I doubted I’d make it. About a mile from the finish line, I glanced back and saw the follow-up car on my heels. I was last. (Coming in last was always my greatest fear.)

Afterward, I stayed to see the others get their awards. I was shocked when they called my name. I’d won FIRST place in the women’s 40-45 age group. As I walked up to get my trophy, all I could think about was this Scripture: “So the last shall be first, and the first shall be last,” (Matthew 20:16, KJV).


With running, writing, or whatever it is we choose to do, we must push ourselves past the place where we want to give up. Even if we come in last, we’re far ahead of those who never started. In a scene from, Chariots of Fire, British track and field athlete, Harold Abrahams said to his fiancée: “If I can’t win, I won’t run!” Her reply was: “If you won’t run, you can’t win.”

Over 17,000 words later, I can say with confidence: “I am a writer. I ran, and I won!” And so did all of you who participated in this challenge. Congratulations on finishing this leg of the course. Thank you for your words of encouragement along the way. They made a difference. Thanks also to Jeff and Christine for inviting me on this journey. It’s been great, and I plan to keep on running.

“I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it.”―Phil 3:14-16, MSG

Now it's your turn. Is there something you've been wanting to do but have been too afraid to start? Remember, "If you won't run, you can't win."

ON YOUR MARK. GET SET. GO!

I always welcome your comments.

Blessings,
Starr


No comments:

Post a Comment