Monday, September 29, 2014

MY 500 WORDS: Day 1

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” 
―Philippians 2:3-4, ESV

Push or Pull?

Ahhh! What did I just do? Where do I begin in this 31-day writing Challenge? Yes, that’s Challenge with a capital “C”. From this vantage point, I can’t even imagine sliding into Day 31―――SAFE! However, if I didn’t question the outcome, it wouldn’t be much of a challenge, would it? In view of that, a smidgen of fear and trepidation is a positive thing―just the edge I need to keep me in-bounds and move me towards home plate.

I want to enjoy this journey―to take pleasure in the process, not merely perceive it as a commitment or a painstaking obligation. I want to recognize it as the gift and the privilege it is to join with other writers in this challenge. I am grateful to connect with writers who experience the same relentless distractions and writing obstacles that I do. As artists, we lead solitary lives, so to write for an audience of one in the company of others is indeed a unique diversion. Let’s cheer one another on and arrive at the end of this journey together, believing we are writers and knowing that our written words will, indeed, benefit those who read them.

During the next thirty-one days, I want to remember the words of the late, great twentieth-century author, Raymond Chandler: “The faster I write, the better my output. If I'm going slow, I'm in trouble. It means I'm pushing the words instead of being pulled by them.”

Are you a word pusher? I am. My perfectionist spirit wants to push instead of believe and rest in the flow of my thoughts. Even now, I find myself editing as I go along. Old habits, do indeed, die hard. Thus, the reason I’ve embarked on this journey―to break poor writing habits that thwart my progression as a writer and to adopt a writing lifestyle conducive to allowing my thoughts to dance on the page.

As a child, I loved to pile my favorite dolls and stuffed animals into my little red wagon, plop myself in the middle of them, and charm my father into pulling us around. For him to pull me along in my wagon was far more fun than pushing or pulling someone myself. “Faster, daddy, faster,” I would squeal. The sad part was that the trip to the end of the driveway and back always seemed to be over too fast. Much faster than when I was the one doing the pushing or pulling.

As I begin this challenge, I look forward to my words pulling me along and carrying me to my destination faster than I can imagine. Once there, I hope to be more than happy to assist in pushing or pulling others along on this journey.

But until thenhop in! There’s room in my wagon for you.

“Faster, daddy, faster!”
__________________

I always welcome your comments.

Blessings,
Starr

Day 1: 510 Words
Challenge: Declare your commitment to write 500 words for thirty-one days.
                                                        
Photo image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystalflickr/48840696/

4 comments:

  1. What a great post, Starr. I love the analogy with the little red wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal. What an encourager you are!

      Blessings,
      Starr

      Delete
  2. Welcome Starr! hope you enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I'm counting on it.

      Blessings,
      Starr

      Delete