Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tee Word of the Day: Opportuni-Tee

"When opportunity knocks, open the door."


"Jesus said, ‘No procrastination. No backward looks.
You can’t put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day.'"
—Luke 9:62, MSG

Today, I am 23,846 days old. (Go ahead. I’ll wait. I know you’re tallying it up.) Sounds as if Methuselah is my next of kin, doesn’t it? According to the U. S. Social Security Administration’s life expectancy calculator, I can expect to live another 21.3 years, or another 7,774 days. As I look at this number in relation to the days I have already lived, it puts my life in sobering perspective.

An Irish saying contends, “When God made time, he made plenty of it,” and yet, we can identify with the White Rabbit’s dilemma in Alice’s wonderland as he scampers through life exclaiming, “I’m late. I’m late, for a very important date. No time to say ‘Hello, Good-bye.’ I’m late, I’m late, I’m late!”

We scurry behind schedule; we dart ahead of it, and in reality, we race past God-given doors of opportunity. We simply can’t add anything more to our schedules.

Prioritizing our time and investing it wisely, instead of spending it irresponsibly, should be our aim. Scripture exhorts us to allow God to “teach us to number our days aright, that we may present to you a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12, NAS).

Slow down! Breathe. Spend quiet moments with the Father of time. Consider the brevity of life and devote your heart to true wisdom―a wisdom only imparted to us by his Spirit. The previous moment has passed, and the subsequent moment may never come. This moment is all we have.

What shall I do with the next 7,774 days of my life? Apply my heart to wisdom. Number my days “aright.” Seize each new day of opportunity, and MAKE IT COUNT.

Now it’s your turn. Use the following link to calculate the potential days you have left to be productive for God. 

Is there a door of opportunity you need to open? 

Please leave a comment.

U. S. Social Security Administration’s life expectancy calculator website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/population/longevity.html

No comments:

Post a Comment